1-MCP is a product widely used in apples around the world to improve eating quality and storability. Ripening of the fruit is initiated by ethylene, and in some cases this is also true.
To a certain extent, the ripening process's speed is regulated by its concentration in the fruit. Fruits generally soften, and apples soften more rapidly when the ethylene content is high, but ethylene is also volatile in the fruit needed to stimulate the formation of flavor-producing substances. Low-temperature air storage slows the ripening process but does not prevent it.
1-MCP is a new compound that can make our lives better.
It prevents this ethylene binding and prevents or severely interferes with ethylene-induced fruit ripening. And its effect on fruit quality. The treatment of apples with 1-MCP has produced some exciting results. These include significant retention of hardness and a significant reduction in surface scalding.
Field Trial of 1-MCP
1-Methylcyclopropene(1-MCP), as a plant growth regulator, is an excellent ethylene inhibitor. The irreversible binding of 1-MCP to the ethylene receptor blocks the normal physiological function of ethylene, thereby delaying the quality decline caused by ethylene. In view of non-toxic, non-pollution, and high efficiency, 1-MCP has broad application prospects in the preservation of fruits, vegetables, and flowers. In some developed countries, 1-MCP, as a preservative, is called a revolutionary development.
Application of 1-MCP
Fruits: apple, pear, apricot, peach, persimmon, honeydew melon, plum, nectarine, kiwi, cherry, longan, bayberry, Cucurbita melon, jujube, avocado, grape, mango, papaya, banana, passion fruit, Strawberry, pineapple, guava, etc.
Vegetables: tomatoes, lettuce, celery, kale, potatoes, carrots, daylily, onions, toon, beans, broad beans, peas, broccoli, asparagus, coriander, cucumber, onions, leeks, garlic sprouts, (green, red) peppers, North Korea Thistle, cowpea, sweet corn, enoki mushroom, etc.
Flowers: a) Cut flowers: roses, lilies, carnations, orchids, hibiscus, tulips, pansy, bellflowers, alstroemeria, snapdragons, treasure trees, bellflowers, delphinium, dianthus, gypsophila, Violet, phalaenopsis, blue sky hydrangea, rose, etc. b) Potted flowers: miniature rose, modern rose, fairy finger, winter flower begonia, bellflower, hibiscus, dragon boat flower, petunia, phalaenopsis, geranium, etc.
Instruction for Use
This microdose packaged product is suitable for the cartons lined, transit boxes or plastic bags, and another packaging of fruits batch processing. The specific methods are as follows:
1) Check the fresh-keeping bag before packaging the fruits, requiring no damage to the bag ( so as not to affect the use effect ). Use this product after packing the fruit and before sealing.
2) After packaging the fruits into bags, put 1-MCP directly into the fresh-keeping bag when precooling, then fold the fresh-keeping bag, and seal it. Seal the fruits bags or cartons if transported directly, the processing time shall not be less than 24 hours, the processing temperature is 5 to 20 °C.
Precautions of 1-MCP
1) The harvest time should be at an appropriate maturity of crops.
The preservative processing should be as soon as possible, the sooner, the better effect you would get.
When the maturity is too high, using this product for treatment is not recommended.
2) After putting the 1MCP into the refreshing keeping bags, it would volatilize 1- MCP gas and play a role
in preservation in a short time. After the treatment with 1MCP, the sensitivity to carbon dioxide of treated
products will increase, so the carbon dioxide content in the storage environment should be kept lower.
3) Seal the package of this product, do not open the package if don’t use it.
Use it up as soon as possible after opening the package. If you are not going to finish it in time,
you should tie the bag immediately and store it in a cool, dry place.
4) This product should not be taken orally, and children are forbidden to contact.
5) Sealed, placed in a cool dry place.