Let us face it, the United States (US) faces a tough fight in the traditional agriculture industry. The American Farmland Trust (2020) report, Farms Under Threat: The State of the States, between 2001 and 2016 detailed the following:
▪ Farm suitable land is vital to U.S. food security
▪ The U.S. holds the world’s greatest concentration of fertile soil (39%) suited for growing food, determined to be Nationally Significant
▪ The US loses up to 2,000 acres/day of farm suitable land
▪ This suitable farmland is continually threatened by development pressure, extreme weather, market disruptions, and epidemics/pandemics
How do we address this issue? One way can be seen by the emergence of indoor farming companies in the US and globally. These companies locate close to markets they serve, producing fresh produce on a sustainable basis that does support and supplement traditional agriculture food production capability.
How do these indoor farming companies deliver sustainability? Sustainability focuses on meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. The concept of sustainability is composed of three pillars: economic, environmental, and social—also known informally as profits, planet, and people. Indoor farming is hampered by the high cost of energy necessary to power the LED lights critical to grow fresh produce indoors, making expensive products.
How can the US address food supply insecurity?
The answer: AGRONOMCIS that attains all three pillars of sustainability:
▪ Economically – AGRONOMICS integrates Solar Micro-Grid Smart Energy Technology with Indoor Farming Solving the Energy Problems Faced by Indoor Farms
▪ Environmentally – AGRONOMCS reduces the demand on national macrogrids by generating clean/renewable energy on site while significantly reducing the Carbon Footprint
▪ Socially– AGRONOMICS meets escalating demand for a sustainable and healthy food supply while attaining 9 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Goals
AGRONOMICS Creates a New Farming Paradigm to Deliver Farm Sustainability
May 10, 2021
Food Supply Insecurity?
Let us face it, the United States (US) faces a tough fight in the traditional agriculture industry. The American Farmland Trust (2020) report, Farms Under Threat: The State of the States, between 2001 and 2016 detailed the following: ▪ Farm suitable...
Read more »
Some individuals may not be listed above if they shared content without first signing in.