San Francisco, CA (PRUnderground) February 18th, 2020
Food System 6 (FS6), an impact-focused food and agriculture accelerator in the Bay Area, is announcing the launch of their 5th cohort. The six innovations that are participating in this year’s cohort are solving for a range of sustainability and community-focused challenges – addressing such issues as regenerative agriculture, food waste, and fair labor standards for farmers and food-workers.
By participating in the FS6 program, these entrepreneurs have signed up for a year of custom coaching and mentorship aimed at supporting them through their next major growth milestones. The FS6 accelerator program will provide training and support in the areas of storytelling, communications, marketing, investment strategy, and business development, and will match participating companies with mentors from across the food, agriculture, and investment sectors. Each participant was selected for their unique innovations across the FS6 impact areas of healthy people, vibrant farms, sustainable ecosystems, and justice & fairness.*
“This amazing group of entrepreneurs is removing barriers on behalf of the farmers, producers, and food workers who are revitalizing local foodsheds, supporting rural communities, and building healthy soil that feeds their own families and ours,” said Caesaré Assad, CEO of Food System 6.
FS6, Cohort 5 includes the following innovations:
- Central Grazing Co. – Regeneratively producing food and fiber that respects people, animals, and the planet.
- Farm Generations Cooperative – Software that brings small sustainable farmers together for mutual success in the future food economy.
- Firebrand Artisan Breads – Using the craft of baking to create high-quality jobs and a thriving, engaged community.
- Keller Crafted Meats – Supporting regional supply chains for regenerative family farms through whole-animal butchery, charcuterie, and distribution.
- Matriark Foods – Upcycling surplus vegetables into healthy, sustainable food products for foodservice.
Revel Meat Co. – Preserving local meat markets by providing humane slaughter and butchery for small and midsize ranchers.
“Before FS6, I was just a person trying to solve a problem for myself and the community,” said FS6 Cohort 3 entrepreneur, Julia Niiro (MilkRun). “Leaving FS6, our business became a player in shaping how our food system, at large, will operate and what/who it will impact. It gave me motivation to continue to ask questions and opened my eyes to all of the people and organizations who share these values. It gave us a home.”
To learn more about the program and apply to the next cohort visit FoodSystem6.org/apply.
* The FS6 impact pillars are adapted fromWhole Measures for Community Food Systems, a values-based strategic planning and evaluation framework developed by the Center for Whole Communities and the Community Food Security Coalition.
About Food System 6 Accelerator Inc
Food System 6 (FS6) is a 501c3 non-profit based in the San Francisco Bay Area whose mission is to support impact-driven entrepreneurs as they transform how we grow, produce, and distribute food. The organization runs a comprehensive accelerator program that mentors entrepreneurs by coaching them through a wide range of business and organizational needs. FS6 also works to educate stakeholders on the challenges faced by the food system and to shine a light on innovations that deliver real impact. FS6 has supported four cohorts with 29 companies, of which 21 are for-profit and 8 are non-profits. Additional information on our current portfolio can be found here: https://www.foodsystem6.org/portfolio.html.